It’s not easy to choose a domain name these days because most have already been taken (especially a dot com name). This has grown the business of buying and selling domain names.
For example if you wanted to buy business dot com (if it was for sale) it would cost you millions of dollars to acquire it.
Why you shouldn’t get a free domain name?
If you wanted to save the $20.00 it costs to purchase a professional domain name you could use one of the services that offer a domain, web site and hosting for free.
For example you could sign up for a free blog at WordPress dot com if you’re short of cash. The problem with this method is that if the company goes bust you lose your online business. If you’ve created lots pages with optimized content that ranks well in the search engines, you’ll lose all your hard work.
How to choose the correct domain name
If you wish to brand your company name use it in the domain name. This will help visitors to easily identify your business online. You may even use your own name to brand your business. Chances are, it may not be taken.
People often associate the keywords in your domain name with the type of business you are in. For example if my business was selling red shoes I might include “red shoes” in the domain name.
* Create a list of possible keywords that reflect the type of business you have.
* Visit your favorite domain name registrar and enter your suggested domain name. If it’s already taken it will offer alternatives. It’s best to get a .com name because it’s the most popular for business names online however if you’re not particular try .net, .org, .info, .us. You may have to try many different keyword combinations to find a domain name that’s available and reflects your company.
* Keep in short. Long domain names make them hard to remember. A short one is easy to type. When you add web pages, your domain name already gets longer.
* Make it easy to spell. Don’t keep your visitors guessing. They’ll avoid mistakes when typing it into their browser. A mistake on their part will take them to another web site.
* Avoid dashes. Dashes in a domain name make it harder for visitors to remember and spell. Only use dashes after exhausting all your options.
* Register your domain name. Depending on the extension it will cost between $10.00 and $20.00. The cost also depends on the company you’re registering with.
If your chosen domain name is not available and is one that you have set your heart upon, you may be able to buy it from the owner. As I mentioned above, many people buy and sell domain names as a business. Be careful though..a domain name containing high ranking keywords may cost you several thousand dollars.